[bksvol-discuss] Re: nonfiction novel

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:09:20 -0400

Vidal certainly calls his work "historical fiction" but if you listen to the
interview he did with Amy Goodman (http://www.democracynow.org) a week or
two ago, he says that he wouldn't have spent so large a portion of his life
writing history if others had done a decent job of it.  Amy pushed him on
the fiction/non-fiction question and he said that there was far more truth
in his books than in traditional histories.  Thus, while he didn't use the
term, "non-fiction novel," he certainly made a claim of having greater
veracity in his historical works than works by actual historians.

You can listen to the interview on the Democracy Now web site (link above).
I must say that having heard Vidal speak in person and on television and
radio over the years that I felt very sad listening to this particular
interview.  Vidal seemed like he couldn't quite focus and that he was losing
the edge on his sharp wit.  His long time partner died recently and Vidal
may be feeling very lonely but he definitely sounded very off-balance and
uncomfortable speaking - characteristics I'd never before heard him exhibit.
Meanwhile, Amy treated him like a great elder statesman and didn't push hard
or ask any controversial questions which was nice of her.

With the recent deaths of Hunter Thompson, Joey Ramone, Kurt Vonnegut,
Norman Mailer, Susan Sontag, etc. I'm feeling that all of the heroes of my
youth are leaving me.  Vidal sounded badly enough to bring a tear to one's
eye and a recent interview I heard with Studds Terkel sounded even sadder.

I'm not noticing many new people taking the reins of "public intellectual"
as debate seems to have turned into two or more white men yelling at each
other.  The Buckley/Vidal, Vidal/Mailer, Buckley/Galbraith, EO
Wilson/Stephen J. Gould, Abby Hoffman/G. Gordon Liddy and other great series
of debates seem to have been eclipsed by people like Bill O'Reilly yelling
"shut up" at people with opposing positions.  Even the once terrific debates
between Noam Chomsky and Alan Dershowitz have decayed into Chomsky stating a
position, complete with references and Dershowitz responding with ad hominum
replies.

I grew up in a liberal/leftie family but we watched "Firing Line" and other
television programs that celebrated intellectual discourse for the sake of
discourse.  Buckley, although his opinions differed from ours presented his
arguments in a cogent and respectful manner and his recent death caused me
to cry a bit as the last intellectual of his sort had moved onto whatever
afterlife New England Brahmins go to when they die.

Back to the point, though, while Thompson, Capote, Mailer, Wolfe, Didion and
others all described themselves as followers of the "new Journalism" and,
therefore, wrote "non-fiction novels" all described themselves in various
manners but all credit Kerouac and Thompson for weaving the cloth from which
their philosophic basis was sewn.

cdh