[bksvol-discuss] newly submitted --- The Mayor of MacDougal Street : a Memoir

  • From: Rik James <rixmix2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:42:48 -0600

Okay!  I hope the late Dave Van Ronk would have gotten a big chuckle when
hearing how many painstaking hours I took to ensure the best possible
readable copy of his memoirs. Who knows, maybe he was sitting on my
shoulders singing in that wonderful growling voice of his.  It is a really
dear piece of work to me personally.  So I hope that one of you who proofs
it will enjoy it, too, and any Bookshare member who gets a chance to read it
should it be accepted into our collection.

Below are my notes.
The "standardize" stuff I did, I made notes. I don't know if it is useful,
but it was what I did to keep my head on straight as I went through it for
the first time.

Thanks to Lori, for the help on the Word formatting this morning. That did
the trick, and I got that column stuff fixed.

Thanks,and as always, contact info is proveded in the volunteer comments
when it is downlaoded for a proofing.

Rik

TITLE:
The Mayor of MacDougal Street : a Memoir

AUTHOR:
    Dave Van Ronk and Elijah Wald
     Dave Van Ronk with Elijah Wald (says on the official copyright page)

YEAR OF COPYRIGHT:
Copyright © 2005 by Elijah Wald and Andrea Vuocolo Van Ronk

GENRE:  (checkboxes)
Non-fiction, biography memoir, entertainment, music,

How Many Pages:
246 pages

SHORT DESCRIPTION: 200 character limit (with spaces)
The memoir of Dave Van Ronk, leader of the Greenwich Village folk revival of
the 1960s.

ISBN #:
0-306-81407-2

LONGER DESCRIPTION:
Dave Van Ronk (1936-2002) was one of the founding figures of the 1960s folk
revival, but he was far more than that. A pioneer of modern acoustic blues,
a fine songwriter and arranger, a powerful singer, and one of the most
influential guitarists of the '60s, he was also a marvelous storyteller, a
peerless musical historian, and one of the most quotable figures on the
Village scene. Holding court in legendary venues like Gerde's Folk City and
the Gaslight Café, Van Ronk wielded an influence so great that a stretch of
Sheridan Square-the heart of the Village-was later renamed Dave Van Ronk
Street.

The Mayor of MacDougal Street is a unique first-hand account by a major
player in the social and musical history of the '50s and 60s. It features
encounters with young stars-to be like Bob Dylan (who survived much of his
first year in New York sleeping on Van Ronk's couch), Tom Paxton, Phil Ochs,
Joan Baez, and Joni Mitchell, as well as older luminaries like Reverend Gary
Davis, Woody Guthrie, Mississippi John Hurt, and Odetta.

Colorful, hilarious, engaging, and a vivid evocation of a singular time and
place, The Mayor of MacDougal Street is a feast not only for fans of folk
music and blues, but for anyone interested in the music, politics, and
spirit of a revolutionary period in American culture.

VOLUNTEER COMMENTS:
I used version 11 of my Kurzweil scanning program to scan this book. All the
page numbers were checked and placed at the top of each page.  99.83 percent
accuracy achieved after using K-1000 ranked spelling and making corrections.
If the proofreader wants to contact me about some question, I can check it
with the kept image version of the book.  Contact me at one of these email
addresses:  d28rik@xxxxxxx or rixmix2009@xxxxxxxxxx

For the first time I have attempted to make font size changes as mentioned
in the Bookshare Volunteer manual. I would like to hear how this worked out.

Here is a brief log of my standardizing the file:
I did NOT put this in the field for volunteer comments. Too long!

In WORD.
  1 - Smart quotes (none found)
  2 -  convert em dashes to double hyphens (585 replacements)
  3 -  surround page breaks with blank lines (268 replacements)
  4 - remove spaces surrounding double hyphens (1 replacement)
  5 - space two hyphens (1 replacement, two hyphens space (26 replacements)
  6 - convert section breaks to page breaks (zero found)

  in K-1000 I did the following .
   First, settings were checked and modified where needed.

1 -  page numbers, verified
2 - standardized Font type and Size (Times New Roman, 12 point)
3 -  later, increased headings to 16 point -  (word "chapter" inserted with
chapter number.)
4 -  protect chapter headings with blank line above and below.
5 -  all blank pages numbered and labeled.
6 - end of line hyphens, found and deleted or put with rest of word.

Special note on this book:   This book has multiple incidences where the a
word exists in the printed book, where hyphen IS intended with the space
after it. So, I did NOT do the universal find and replace.
   Example:  text on page. "first- and second-hand . "

7 - running headers and footers, removed at time of my intial scan as you
go.

Special note on Footnotes.  The book has footnotes at the bottom of some
pages. They use an * (asterisk) to denote the footnote, both up in the text,
and at the bottom to begin the footnote.  As a help, I instered the text
Footnote: (followed by a colon) and a space before each footnote asterisk.
And further, in instances where a sentence at the bottom of the page is
interrupted by the footnote, I make the sentence complete, either by moving
the text to next page, or moving the text from the next page, to complete
the sentence. This as a reader is my preference, and I certainly feel it is
acceptable for our bookshare books to have this done.

8  - each page beginning with a lower case number. Done.
9 -  removed extra blank lines as instructed, using the search and replace
of \n\n\n\n\n\n etc

    6 -- \n\n\n\n\n\n  (k-1000 said that "500 and some corrections were
made")
    5--- \n\n\n\n\n    (k-1000 said that "32 corrections were made"
    4 -- \n\n\n\n   (k-1000 said that "37 corrections have been made")
    3 -- \n\n\n      (k-1000 said that "47 corrections have been made")

10 - Insert any paragraph marks between lines of dialogue removed by OCR (9
corrections made)

11 - seeking paragraph marks that should not be there. With each letter of
alphabet

    find \na replace with: space A  (" a")  --     k-1000 "27 corrections
were made"
    find \nb replace with: space B (" b")  --     k-1000  said, " 1
corrections were made"
    find \nc replace with: space  C  (" c")  --     k-1000  said, " 21
corrections were made"
    find \nd replace with: space  D  (" d")  --     k-1000  said, " zero
corrections were made"
    find \ne replace with: space  E  (" e")  --     k-1000  said, "  2
corrections were made"
    find \nf   replace with: space  F  (" f")  --     k-1000  said, "  31
corrections were made"
    find \ng   replace with: space  G  (" g")  --     k-1000  said, "  1
corrections were made"
    find \nh   replace with: space  H  (" g")  --     k-1000  said, " 1
corrections were made"
    find \ni   & replace with: space  I  (" c")  --     k-1000  said, "  3
corrections were made"
    find \nj   & replace with: space  J  (" j")  --     k-1000  said, "
zero corrections were made"
    find \nk   & replace with: space  K  (" k")  --     k-1000  said, " zero
xxx  corrections were made"
    find \nl   & replace with: space  L  (" l")  --     k-1000  said, " zero
corrections were made"
    find \nm   & replace with: space  M  (" m")  --     k-1000  said, " 3
corrections were made"
    find \nn   & replace with: space  N  (" n")  --     k-1000  said, "
zero corrections were made"
    find \no   & replace with: space  O  (" o")  --     k-1000  said, " zero
corrections were made"
    find \np   & replace with: space  P  (" p")  --     k-1000  said, " 6
corrections were made"
    find \nq   & replace with: space  Q  (" q")  --     k-1000  said, " zero
corrections were made"
    find \nr   & replace with: space  R  (" r")  --     k-1000  said, "  9
corrections were made"
    find \ns   & replace with: space  S  (" s")  --     k-1000  said, " 2
corrections were made"
    find \nt   & replace with: space  T  (" t")  --     k-1000  said, " 2
corrections were made"
    find \nu   & replace with: space  U  (" u")  --     k-1000  said, " 1
corrections were made"
    find \nv   & replace with: space  V  (" v")  --     k-1000  said, "
zero corrections were made"
    find \nw   & replace with: space  W  (" w")  --     k-1000  said, "3
corrections were made"
    find \nx   & replace with: space  X  (" x")  --     k-1000  said, "  6
corrections were made"
    find \ny   & replace with: space  Y  (" y")  --     k-1000  said, " zero
corrections were made"
    find \nz   & replace with: space  Z  (" z")  --     k-1000  said, " zero
corrections were made"

12 -  Find and and fix wrong ellipses in text of book.

. . .  replace with  ...    ("19 corrections were made")
.. .  replace with ...    ("8 corrections were made")
. ..  replace with ...   ("9 corrections were made")

13 - ranked spelling.  Approximately 99.5 percent accuracy achieved.
     There are many proper names and slang words, etc. Scanning errors were
not a huge problem, but when found, corrections were made.

14 -  replace tabs with spaces  (18 corrections were made)