[bksvol-discuss] Re: new books and Daisy navigation, or lack of it.

  • From: "Sandi Ryan" <sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 20:17:55 -0500

I just have to say that books need to continue to have pages when they are
electronic.  I know this is not the norm any more, but how on earth do you cite
a book properly without its page numbers?  How do you find the pages you are to
read when there is no page navigation?  I was part of an IEP for a high school
student today, and one of the big issues for her teachers is her lack of page
navigation that would let her read her textbooks in class with the rest of the
students.

It's wonderful to have scads of books to read.  I'm just not sure that
wonderfulness outweighs the need for books that can be easily navigated.  Not
to mention that many Braille errors are present in PQ books.  That's okay for
an older woman like me, but for someone learning to read Braille, it's not
useful.

Sandi