[bksvol-discuss] my scanned book submitted "A Six String History of America"

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 17:28:48 -0700

I submitted this book along with another book submitted on the same day.
One was checked out.
And this one has not yet been taken up for proofreading.
Just thought I’d post this reminder about it.
It is actually an interesting idea for a book. To combine an interest in music
instrument development with American history.
The author is in Nashville, and I heard about it after I interviewed one of his
friends, a songwriter named David Olney on my radio program this summer.
Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Rik (Richard) James

SUBMITTED BOOK:

ISBN #:   ISBN 13: 978-1-939995-03-2
TITLE:   A Six String History of America
AUTHOR:  Copyright © 2014 Jay M. Pilzer
YEAR OF COPYRIGHT:   Copyright © 2014 Jay M. Pilzer
PUBLISHER:  American History Press
GENRE:   non-fiction, entertainment

Note: Below is text I was going to use for the description. But as the
already existing text seemed similar I let it ride.
from the publisher:

Drawing on his years of experience as a history professor and longtime
guitar dealer, author Jay Pilzer leads us on an entertaining and thoughtful
journey through the fascinating, diverse, and sometimes wild history of the
guitar in America. Viewed through the broad scope of the American
experience, this retrospective cleverly melds together such unexpected
guitar-related subjects as the Tulip Mania of 1636, the swaying hips of hula
girls in Hawaii, and what really powered Jimmy Hendrix's Stratocaster at
Woodstock.

Our author ponders all aspects of guitar history, including:

- How the period of the Enlightenment was an influence on guitars
- Why the economics of the 1600s were a prelude to guitar prices of the
twenty-first century
- The surprising influences on guitar designs and styles
- How the advent of American steamboats and railroads helped guitar sales
- The development of blues and jazz, and the types of instruments used for
each style
- The affects of installment buying on guitar sales after the Great
Depression
- How and why guitar quality declined in the 1970s - - Why guitar executives
cringed at the sound of disco in the 1980s

These, and many other aspects of guitar history, are covered in this
fully-readable and enjoyable book. Whether you play or listen, this romp
through the history of guitars will truly entertain!

About the author:
Jay Pilzer is a retired history professor with a Ph.D. from Duke University.
He is a long time guitar player and has written articles on guitars and the
guitar industry for several guitar-oriented publications. He has also been a
guitar dealer for more than twenty years. He lives in Nashville, Tennessee.