[bksvol-discuss] my scan just submitted - "Jolson: the Legend Comes to Life" a biography by Herbert G. Goldman

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 00:52:43 -0700

Hi folks,
This 1988 biography of Al Jolson has just been submitted. Yes, just in time for
Christmas. <g>

Feel free to contact me off list if there are any questions.
I have spent more time with this book than any I have scanned before. The
reference sections at the end especially, to ensure the accuracy of the data.
And I read it with my K-1000 all the way as I went and caught many of the
little things that I might have otherwise missed. I think it’s a pretty darned
clean scan, I do. And I hope it gets read and enjoyed by our members and many
will get a chance to know about this oft forgotten entertainer. I mostly
remember my grandparents great affection for his talent. And lately my mom (81)
has joined the AJIS (Al Jolson International Society) and has gotten me in to
learning more and hearing his songs. (www.jolson.org)

Thanks.
And may you all have a great holiday.
Even though we are all so very sad by this recent horrible violence.
Richard (Rik) James

Long Synopsis: They call him "The Immortal Jolson"--the dynamic king of
Broadway. Audiences knew him for four decades as The World's Greatest
Entertainer. Now Herbert G. Goldman gives us the definitive biography of this
quintessential star of the musical stage. _____With a sure eye for the
revealing anecdote, Goldman chronicles each step of Al Jolson's colorful life:
his early struggles with his brother, Harry, on the vaudeville and burlesque
circuit; his rise to stardom on Broadway, which prompted aVarietywriter to
proclaim, "The Shuberts may run the Winter Garden, but Al Jolson owns it"; his
glory at the pinnacle of national fame, which came with his appearances in the
moviesThe Jazz Singer(the first "talking picture") andThe Singing Fool; his
subsequent decline and brief resurgence after the film biographyThe Jolson
Storywas released in 1946; and his final round of appearances in 1950,
entertaining American troops in Korea just before his death. Goldman explores
the complexities of the Jolson personality, as revealed in his four stormy
marriages and his relations with his family, business associates, friends, and
enemies. _____Jolson's childlike egocentricity, restless spirit, and frequent
generosity all emerge in this finely rounded portrait. But what emerges most
vividly is a picture of Jolson the entertainer--a man of the stage whose
exuberant optimism and magnetic energy enthralled three generations of
audiences. _____In doing the research for this lively biography, Goldman combed
major archives, meticulously compiled data from old trade newspapers, and
conducted numerous interviews among the ever-thinning ranks of those who knew
and worked with Jolson. The result is a one-of-a-kind rendering of a
fascinating life and times.
Comments: This book was scanned using Kurzweil K-1000 version 12. Ranked
spelling after corrections is rated as over a 99 percent accuracy level. Page
numbers were moved from bottom to top of each page, and text headers were
removed. A blank line was placed above and below each page number. There are
large section headings, and sub-headings as chapters. The headings were set at
the desired larger font sizes and bolded. The end of book reference sections
(Notes, Stageography, Radiography, Filmography, Discography, and Index) are
pretty large and were very finely scrutinized for accuracy. The OCR had trouble
distinguising a 1 and a 2, and so I made it my business to go over these year
numbers and dates with a pretty fine toothed comb. There is a section of pages
between chapters that are photographs. The captions were placed in brackets and
labeled as such. The pages were NOT part of the book's pagination, so they do
not have page numbers. The scanned .KES file has image kept so I may look up
issues that may come up and I still have a copy of the book. I am available for
questions at my email address of d28rik at msn dot com.
Adult content: No
Language: English US
Book Quality: EXCELLENT
Categories: Nonfiction, Entertainment, Biographies and Memoirs