[bksvol-discuss] Re: my own questions about K1000

  • From: Stephen Baum <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:19:32 -0500

The K1000 will support SSIL, but only for Windows '95, '98, or Windows ME since its a 16 bit standard and isn't supported in operating systems that are based on NT, such as NT, 2000, and XP. On those operating systems, the K1000 will directly support a small set of hardware synthesizers, including DECTalk Express, DoubleTalk, and TripleTalk. This is all described in Appendix C of the reference manual.

Stephen

At 11:53 AM 2/23/2005, you wrote:
I have been told, and found it to be true in my experience, that the latest
versions of Kurzweil aren't actually capable of using SSIL synthesizers any
more.  I realize that the drivers don't exist for some of them for use in
XP, but it sounded like they wouldn't work in older versions of Windows
either, even though you are asked if you want to install one.  I don't
understand why they would say they don't work if they do, why they would
make them not work if there are drivers, or why if they don't work, why the
installation would ask you if you wanted to install SSIL support for a
device.  Can anyone give me some enlightenment?

How have you succeeded in using a double talk, and in what version of
Windows with what software?  Not that it really matters, since I don't have
one.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity/