[bksvol-discuss] Re: my book scan in process, question

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 19:48:00 -0400

Cindy, I don't think you had better expect that anyone will let you know what has come in from the publishers. I just now checked the newly added books list and in the last twenty-four hours 3,415 books have been added. That kind of shows you how useful a books being scanned list will be now, but if it is actually no extra trouble for you then go ahead.

On 8/28/2014 9:05 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
Then I shall revive the list I used to keep. and will post it to the volunteer list; it won't be perfect; if no-one at bookshare posts or lets me know privately what's come in from the publishers or what bookshare is scanning (are N.Y. Times best-sellers being added automatically? but it might help a little; I check my email several times a day and if there's mail from the list and scanners post to it I'll see that; I note what books are being scanned and by whom. If, as has happened in the past when I kept such a list, the scanner doesn't want me to post her/his name I'll omit that and just post what book is being scanned. Then if someone wants to proof it I'll contact the scanner off list if it's someone whose email addie I already have; otherwise, the would-be proofer can post on the list that he/she would like to proof such-and-such a book. Nothing is more frustrating than working on a book and then find out it's been already scanned or proofed (nay more than frustrating ... anger-producing; this will take very little time on my part; it won't take time away from my proofing smile'
Cindy

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Cindy and everyone,

    We no longer keep a current “being scanned list” because of the
    volume of student requests that we get and publisher books that
    are added. While we love the idea of it, we unfortunately don’t
    have the bandwidth to keep a list like that current. It would
    actually change every few minutes and would need to be manually
    updated, so I’m sure you can imagine how difficult that would be!

    I do encourage volunteers to post to this list when they’re about
    to scan a book, in case it can prevent duplicate scanning.
    However, keep in mind that many volunteers do not join this list
    or may not see the post in time. Still, I don’t think it can hurt
    to post what you’re going to scan.

    Best,

    Madeleine Linares

    Volunteer Coordinator