[bksvol-discuss] Re: my book scan in process, question

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:03:48 -0500

Hey Roger, good question ... I think on average around 100 books per month enter the collection that are scanned by volunteers, maybe a little more or a little less. Also, I just remembered that in addition to the publisher quality books, a whole bunch of outsourcer scanned books get added every month as well, sometimes just a handful in a week, sometimes as many as 25 to 35 a day. Volunteers don't know what titles are being worked on by outsourcers either until they appear in the collection.

Judy s.

On 8/29/2014 8:55 PM, Roger Loran Bailey (Redacted sender rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
Generally speaking, when someone posts what they are scanning on this list it is right after they have uploaded it to the checkout list. It does strike me as more useful, though, if we would start posting what we are scanning as soon as we start or, if we are sure we are going to do it, prior to scanning. That could alert proofreaders to whether they want to proof it or not. Unfortunately, that sounds a bit unfair to volunteers who do not subscribe to this list. I do agree, though, that that should be all that is necessary. There was a time that the books being scanned list was useful, but I do think it has been outmoded. Just how many books would be on that list compared to the well over three thousand books that have been added to the collection just in the last twenty-four hours?
On 8/29/2014 9:47 PM, Judy s. wrote:
Hi  Cindy,

People really don't post what they're scanning. Also, quite a few volunteers, maybe most?, aren't on this list either, so I guess I'm going to echo Sue. I mean this totally kindly, but it really seems like a wasted time and effort on your part, especially as you do so many other valuable things, like getting printed copies of books to help when someone has a scrambled page.

Judy s.