[bksvol-discuss] Re: more newbie questions

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:32:07 EDT

Allow me to add to that answer. The reason I suspect that Bookshare would
not allow the ISBN of one edition to be used for another edition is that the
text might actually vary from one edition to another. The author might
revise and update a later edition for example, and if someone is searching by
ISBN it is likely that for some reason or another that person wants one
particular edition. I think that later printings of the same edition have the
same
ISBN. After all, just havving another print run does not by itself change
anything else about a book.

                                                                  "If you
tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine."
Che Guevara

                 The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml
Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: more newbie questions
Date:
7/26/2009 3:24:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Each edition of a book should have its own ISBN and each volume of a series
should have its own ISBN. In the case of a boxed set the whole set might
have
an ISBN. As for whether an ISBN of one edition can be used for another
edition on Bookshare, I don't know Bookshare's policy on that, but I would
suspect
that it would not be allowed.

                                                          "If you tremble
with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." Che
Guevara

             The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International:
http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html
             _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: more newbie questions
Date:
7/26/2009 2:26:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

But is an ISBN particular to a particular printing?

As an example, I would expect all of the three volume Balintine Books
printings of The Lord of the Rings to share an ISBN, but the various
single volume printings would have their own. I would also of course
expect different ISBNs to get assigned for different revisions of the
same book.

I ask out of curiosity about putting an ISBN for a later printing on a
scan of an older book.  If someone is actually doing an ISBN search I
would think it more helpful for an older printing that has been
scanned to come up than for nothing to match.

On 7/26/09, Shelley L. Rhodes <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ISBNs weren't common until 1972 or so.  So a lot of the older books just
> won't have them.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx

A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your score. See
now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323048x1201367271/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&;
bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)

A bad credit score is 600 &amp; below. Checking
won't affect your score. See now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323048x1201367271/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc
=668072&amp;hmpgID=62&amp;bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)