[bksvol-discuss] Re: more newbie questions

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 10:26:28 -0800

But is an ISBN particular to a particular printing?

As an example, I would expect all of the three volume Balintine Books
printings of The Lord of the Rings to share an ISBN, but the various
single volume printings would have their own. I would also of course
expect different ISBNs to get assigned for different revisions of the
same book.

I ask out of curiosity about putting an ISBN for a later printing on a
scan of an older book.  If someone is actually doing an ISBN search I
would think it more helpful for an older printing that has been
scanned to come up than for nothing to match.

On 7/26/09, Shelley L. Rhodes <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ISBNs weren't common until 1972 or so.  So a lot of the older books just
> won't have them.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx