[bksvol-discuss] Re: more formatting questions

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 15:19:00 -0800

All of those kinds of formatting are optional, however...

When I proofread or scan, I make all the fonts on the initial page 20 points or less. Sometimes, when the title or author will now fit on one line with the smaller font, I join lines, other times I don't bother. Sometimes the copyright page has lots of stuff in a tiny font. I'm pretty sure the bookshare tools make everything one size so it shouldn't matter that all this is in a tiny font in the rtf file. However, when I scan I increase the size on this text in case it helps the proofer.

In the main text of the book, I try to make all the text the same font, same size, same line spacing, except make chapter headings 4 points greater than the main text. I try to preserve italics in the text but sometimes my OCR program goes bonkers and makes chunks of text all different sizes fonts, italics bold and so on. In those cases if the words were recognized correctly, I just make everything Times New Roman, 10 point regular text.

One bit of formatting I do for myself. I'm sighted, but poorly. So, with the text 10 or 12 point, I set the size of the page to the width of a paperback book, then set the zoom to 2 to 2.5 times. On the screen this is large enough that I can sit at about the same distance from the monitor as most people and read the text (as opposed to scrunching forward the way I usually am when trying to read smaller print).

That's probably more than you wanted, but I'm just feeling wordy today.

Valerie Maples wrote:
I have a scan with line spacing preserved and sometimes it is nice visually
and other times it is irrelevant.  Is it okay to leave them in as opposed to
making them carriage returns which indicate new paragraph where that "looks
better"?  Or, what happens to them with the Bookshare tool?  Also, in things
like initial unnumbered pages where overly large fonts and formatting are
used for effect, do you join lines.  Examples would include authors name on
two separate lines and things like that which in smaller fonts make more
sense together.
Thanks!
Valerie

Currently scanning Merry Christmas, Stinky Face Santa Claus the Number One Toy Expert who do I talk to the Red suit diaries
yada yada Prayer Group GETS DECKED OUT

Currently proofing: Once Upon a Chritmas
Love Mercy
Listen for the Whipoorwill
Ten Days To Self-Esteem
Everything Dog: What Kids Really Want To Know About Dogs