[bksvol-discuss] Re: more book sale finds

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:38:44 -0800 (PST)

The grants I'm most familiar with are from schools, colleges and universities,
who say please put the following textbooks, classic novels, or classic
children's books on the db, so their students can read them for classes.  The
novels and kiddie books are okay, but textbooks are a big pain since 1) there
are usually lots of charts and graphs, 2) sometimes there are symbols (like
math symbols) that aren't on normal keyboards, 3) they really have to be
absolutely perfect, and 4) they're usually huge and don't scan well.  If
Bookshare can say to a school administrator, we have all of the Newbery Award
winning books, that's a big plus for educators who want their kids to read
quality children's books.

Will try to get the gardening and cookbooks onto the db sooner than the other
books.

Carrie

Allison <alwaysallie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Karrie,

Just out of curiosity, what kinds of books do the investors and grant givers
want?  I really am just wondering.  I'm trying to imagine what I would want
blind people to read, were I a sighted person with a lot of money to give.
Hmmmmm.

Anyway, good luck on all the scanning.  Me, I'm with Shelly on being excited
about that "I Hate to Cook" cookbook! <smile>.

Allison