[bksvol-discuss] Re: more book sale finds

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:03:26 -0500 (EST)

Elizabeth

While who sets the reading/scanning priority issues are critical, it is
also important to recognize that procuring the grants is also critical.
One cannot have that vegetarian cookbook, that gardening guide, romance
novel, or whatever without someone somewhere paying the bills.
Since the readers only pay a $50 max subscription fee (often reduced or
eliminated by credits), playing up to donations has to be done.
It's probably a tough balancing act giving paying customers what they
yearn
and then also satisfying those that can pay the bills and keep the doors
open.
There's that old saying:  there's no free lunch.
Now, if each subscriber were willing and able to pay $1,000 a year, I'd
bet you the collection might look somewhat different.

One of the things that I am noticing, and never thought about until now,
is that, in some ways, we, in the field, are competing with the in-house
volunteers to get our work approved and added to the collection.
Needless to say, if the in-house group are hastily working on getting a
grant collection worked upon, our submissions may have to take a back seat
in final approvals as those grant books are, at the moment, of greater
importance to BookShare and Benetech.

It's got to be a real challenge, and it also explains the whats and whys
of some things.