[bksvol-discuss] Re: more book sale finds

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:12:11 -0800 (PST)

When I first started volunteering 2 years ago, I was given a list of 500 kiddie
books for a grant.  We managed to acquire 250-300 of them, as I recall, but
there were some that we just couldn't find anywhere and had to buy.  We scoured
the local bookstores for used copies first, of course.  Marissa mentioned last
week that that grant has expired.  I don't know if there's an active kiddie
grant going on these days.  Marissa would probably know.  I don't know if
getting all the Caldecott Award winners would be helpful or not, but I would
assume so.  There sure are a lot of awards given out.  I guess the staff would
have to prioritize which awards to finish first. Then of course there are loads
of adult awards too!  Seems to never end...

Carrie

Allison <alwaysallie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Oh, I see, gotcha.  So some schools will actually give you names of books they
want you to scan and put up?  Am I following?  That's gotta be stressful-ish
for you guys.

As for kids' books, what about the Caldecotts?  Has anyone been asking for
those?  There are absolutely a ton of kids' book awards out there.  I hadn't
known this until I was on the American Library Association website one day.
Here's a couple I didn't know.  Schneider Family Book Award (best children's
book on disabilities).
Coretta Scott King Award (best by African American writers). Robert F. Sibert
Informational Book Award for nonfiction. And the Stonewall Book Award for best
GLBT children's book.  And these are only the ones I can think up off the top
of my head!  Yah, had no idea there were so many.  We couldn't stay up on them
all, were Bookshare to try for years!

What sorts of children's books are on the horizon?  What are the investor-types
thinking blind kiddies need?  Again, just curious.  It's an elementary ed major
thing I guess.

Best,
Allison