[bksvol-discuss] Re: m-dashes

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 14:46:44 -0700 (PDT)

Debbie,

If you're sighted, depending on the font you're using, an em dash is longer
than a regular hyphen. You can see the difference in a print book. When
validating or scanning, in some fonts it's difficult to see a difference,  but
the difference is in the usage. A hyphen is used in compound words, or to
separate parts of words at the end of a line, but we close those up for
bookshare books. An em dash is used to separate thoughts or phrases in
sentences. I use them all the time when I write, to my husband's dismay.

G.Cindy

AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/