[bksvol-discuss] Re: marissa's list

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:55:26 -0500

Laura Ann,

The book is checked by an administrator to insure that it meets Bookshare's
Digital Rights Management plan, or DRM.  The plan is explained on
Bookshare's main legal page if you'd like to read it.  Essentially what is
checked for is to make sure that the scan complies with copyright law, as
well as Bookshare policies.

Gustavo is currently the only admin.  That's why you see all of the issues
related to approvals addressed to him.  You'd have to ask the staff why
there's only one admin or why no else fills in for him when he's out of the
office, but if I had to guess, I'd say he's the only one due to the current
load not justifying paying for more than one person and that no one fills in
when he's out of the office because they can't be spared from their normal
work.  Of course, that's only a guess.

I do know that volunteers aren't asked to help with approvals because they
can't be held accountable for not doing the job properly since they aren't
employees, and Bookshare's success relies on its reputation for insuring
that books in the collection complies with copyright law.

HTH

Gerald

  _____