[bksvol-discuss] Re: lines and page numbers

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 02:29:45 -0500

Dear Bud,

Rules aside, it's very considerate of you to insert the blank lines above and below page numbers. There's no shortcut for doing this that I know, but if it hasn't been done by the scanner, I always take time to enter those blank lines. I don't mind doing it at all, but having it done for me is certainly a treat. I rarely grasp the technical reasons we do what we do, but have heard from braille readers that these blank lines help ensure that the actual page numbers appear in the braille/brf downloads.

Like many of the volunteers who have been scanning and validating much longer than I have, I keep finding new quirks as I take on new books. In one of the files I'm working on now a strange phenomenon has cropped up.

At the end of each page is a huge expanse of blank, space that looks like solid white on the computer screen. It takes several page downs for me to reach the start of the next page. If I'm careful in finding the top of that next page, I can delete the empty space by highlighting with control up arrow and and then delete,. twice. My eyes see that when I do the control up arrow the first time the whole screen turns solid black. The next time I do it, a thin ribbon of black appears vertically up the left margin. These highlighted areas disappear with the deletes but sometimes I lose some lines at the top or bottom of one of the pages. I try placing the cursor carefully, but can't see that I've highlighted some of the print by mistake.

Has anyone used Microsoft word while validating to delete these blank expanses that seem as vast as shopping mall parking lots? I love this book and wouldn't give up on it for anything, but it's slow going. I'm a third of the way finished so your help could save me several hours. Thanks for any ideas.

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bud Schwab" <budschwab@xxxxxxxxxxx>