[bksvol-discuss] levels of navigation .... in new books in Bookshare

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 09:37:36 -0600

Thanks everyone for this discussion.
I’ll just take my chances, and try to scan a book that seems less than likely
to be made available from publishers, is sort of my take.
Pretty amazing numbers, as to the new additions to Bookshare.
I have been finding lots to read among them, that is for sure.

I do have one question.
I wonder if anyone else notices this.
That the navigation on many of these new books may not have the headings.
In Daisy, we have 3 levels of navigation in addition to page navigation.
My experience is that many new books only have page navigation.
If in any of the levels 1, 2 or 3 levels of navigation, if you hit the command
to go to the next navigation heading you just hear “end of book” and poof you
are done.
Meaning pretty much to navigate by page or by percent.
That is fine.
But I really like books best when I can do like any other sighted reader who
wants to go by chapter or sub-heading, as well as by pages.

I know we can do the feedback on any given book, and I will try to do that.
But this comment is just for a general comment on the matter.

Just my 2 cents.
I don’t know what all is involved in the process.
But if anything can be done to make those new books have the levels of
navigation described above, I vote YES!
Thanks!

Rik James