[bksvol-discuss] Re: knitting charts accessibility

  • From: "Tracy Carcione" <carcione@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 14:51:08 -0400

I welcome anything you can think of to make those darn charts accessible. I am
blind, and the only way I know to access charts is to translate them into
written instructions, or to translate each code into a non-picture code.
I saw a chart in braille in an NLS book where the knits were - and the purls
were p, for example, and that was OK.
Either way, it couldn't just be scanned; some, or a lot, of manual intervention
is required.
It drives me batty. I find a knitting pattern that sounds interesting, and
then it's only charted and I can't do it without finding a very patient person
to translate it for me.
There are a fair number of knitting books already on Bookshare that are almost
all charts, and not usable.
Tracy