[bksvol-discuss] just submitted: Missing Mary

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:06:51 -0400

I have just submitted Missing Mary by Charlene Spretnak. Enjoy.
What ever happened to the Virgin Mary in the modern Catholic Church? For the
past forty years her presence has been radically minimized. In a groundbreaking
work, Charlene Spretnak cuts across the battle lines delineated by the left and
the right within the Church to champion the recovery of the full spiritual
presence of Mary. Spretnak, a liberal Catholic, sheds new light on the
dethroning of the Queen of Heaven at Vatican II, and she traces the rise of a
grassroots resurgence of Marian spirituality in recent years. She offers fresh
reflections on the meaning of Mary, situating the Marian renewal in the larger
context of contemporary efforts to correct the barrenness and sterility of
modernity. Spretnak also notes that much of the cosmological symbolism
traditionally associated with Mary as the Queen of Heaven and the maternal
matrix is simpatico with recent discoveries in scientific cosmology about the
profoundly relational nature of the Creation. Moreover, Spretnak asserts that a
deep loss ensues for women in particular when Mary's female embodiment of grace
and mystical presence is denied and replaced with a strictly text-bound version
of her as a Nazarene housewife. Complete with a striking insert of contemporary
Marian art, Missing Mary is a deeply insightful reflection on Mary in the
modern age.
Book blog:
John Adams
E-Mail: amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx