[bksvol-discuss] Re: just submitted 9 books

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:38:50 -0400

Hi, Jackie. I decided to reply to you on the list in case it would help anyone else. I see the role of a validater as one who verifies the integrity of a book and who polishes raw scans. According to the Bookshare policies, validaters are not required to serve as full blown proofreaders, examining every line of every page for things like spacing, fonts, or margins. Those who choose to do so are doing so because they believe it is important, and yet it is a choice made out of personal preference. Some of the books I take are easy to validate while I spend several hours on others. It also helps that I tend to validate books by a group of submitters and know the personal quirks and habits of each. For one thing, I often validate books by listening to them while I scan another book in express batch mode with Openbook. I do that with books that interest me, and it's easy to fix errors as I go.

When I see the rating of a book on the step 1 page, I know it's not always accurate because a person is guessing at which quality rating applies. So I approach each book the same way in the beginning. I check on the copyright info first and then make sure there are page breaks. I generally approach a book by doing a spell check, deleting headers if they're really messed up, and look for common scannos. I don't spend time lining up paragraphs and margines or going line by line through the book to look for stray blank lines. I do fix hyphenated words when I come across them. If I'm interested in the book, I read and correct things as I go along. For books that I don't enjoy reading, I do the things I've described above and upload the book if it's in nice shape. Some of the people on this list are far more willing to fix margines and spaces. I make sure the book is pleasant to read, but I don't spend hours on each book trying to line things up perfectly. I hope this helps and makes some sense.

Monica Willyard

On Friday 10/20/2006 01:54 AM, you wrote:
Monica,

How do you get through the validations so fast? Do you spell-check, or do you assume that if it says "excellent" quality, it is? I must be too much a perfectionist, because it takes me quite a long time to do a book. I tend to make the indexes and bibliographies start each new entry at the margin, etc. So would you write me off-list and tell me how you validate so fast? I would appreciate it.

- Jackie McCraw