[bksvol-discuss] Re: junk characters

  • From: "GenePoole" <captinlogic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:14:29 -0800

Yah, most of the settings are default. I don't export the entire batch to
rtf, instead, I export a few pages at a time and read through them in a
program called StratusPad then paste each page in word, then putting a page
break in. This takes a while, but I usually get very good results when I
submit by doing it this way. But, I tested it out and those junk characters
do not occur in the same place at the same time, rather, they pop up
randomly, and the scanner is clean. 600 resolution takes far too long, up to
a minute per page, and I am currently scanning a 400 page book, that's a
lotta time. Also, upping the resolution doesn't help all the time. I don't
have kurzweil, though I wish I did, since, like you said, it strips graphics
and such. I am lucky to have a pair of eyes available to help with that,
though. What exactly are the brightness and grayscale settings for? Does
increasing or decreasing brightness help? I can always try them out but I am
wondering and, yes, I'm lazy, so I ask. And the booklover in me cannot abide
cutting a poor defenseless book into pieces to feed into it. I can almost
hear the paperbacks on the shelf screaming.
One more question. In the process menu of finereader, there's a menu option
that says scan/read. Can you just get it to scan and after you've finished
scanning then read the pages? Thanks a lot, folks.