[bksvol-discuss] Re: interesting

  • From: the ppardees <jfpardee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:31:53 -0400

Ann,

While speech is much more forgiving of errors than Braille or sight, I could not have read it in Kurzweil.

Jim P
at

06:41 AM 8/31/07, you wrote:
Hi all,

Jim, that's interesting. Apparently, the BookPort is able to parse the smart quotes. That's fascinating, really. It shows up the differences in technology. I downloaded the BRF File, and, as I said, it was awful. I don't have a BookPort, but would be interested to discover if anyone else can read this book on any other equipment and get it to sound properly.

This makes it imperitive that standards for submissions be kept up. My recommendation, speaking as a user and brand new validator is that we stick to straight quotes, as that seems to be the format that is parsed best by most machines and software.

Ann P.