[bksvol-discuss] Re: inquiry to braille users

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:44:27 -0400

Hi Reggie. I think Pocket Word works well, but as others have said it does
have a size limit. It has worked well for the books I've done so far though.
It might not handle a very long book, say 300 pages or more. It does let you
edit text and works mostly as Word does on your PC. I save my file after
proofreading every 10 pages or so because I'm a little worried about
forgetting to save my work or having a crash. I do that on my PC too though.
I'd call that a personal quirk rather than a policy everyone should adopt.
It certainly won't hurt anyone to do it though. (grin) I wonder if your
FSEdit problems stem from it converting the file to grade II Braille? I'm
going to try proofreading a book with FSEdit just to see what happens to it.
I'm going to keep my original file on my PC in case this doesn't work. I'll
try it with a short book so I won't waste tons of time if it doesn't work
out.

Oh, one more thing, before I put a book on my Pac Mate, I use Mayrie's
technique of removing extra blank lines from the file. Since Pocket Word
counts lines of text in its size limit, this means I can work on longer
books. I used to give Mayrie a bit of a hard time about her idea of removing
blank lines since Bookshare does that for us when they process a book to
make the daisy or brf file. Now I'm realizing just what a smart idea she has
shared. So Mayrie, I'm publicly eating my words. (smile)

Monica Willyard

  _____