[bksvol-discuss] Re: indices et al

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 22:54:31 -0700 (PDT)

No one is saying that footnotes or indices or anything else should be
eliminated arbitrarily.  Only if they are a complete mess, taking many hours to
fix, should they be deleted.  Of the thousands of books I've validated, I think
I've deleted indices in maybe 3 books, all of which I discussed with the
Bookshare staff before deciding to delete.  I remember one book where I figured
it would take me 20 hours to fix up the index.  Anyone volunteering to fix the
index?  I still have the original rtf file of the book.

  Carrie

Amy Goldring Tajalli <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The English teacher in me wants to scream at the idea of arbitrarily
eliminating footnotes or indices. They are usually there for a reason and
i cannot imagine eliminating them unless they are totally illegible or
gratuitous. Most footnotes are there to aide the reader or, at the very
least, to give the reader the source for something quoted or referenced in
the text. Even the "novel" I am currently validating would be confusing and
incomprehensible at times without the notes.

Amy (OMST)