[bksvol-discuss] ideas for a person just beginning to validate

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:52:48 -0500

Cindy of course is right about checking with the find command for 1 instead of appearing as "1 have" instead of "I have". If this appears then "1 am" will appear for "I am" and so on. You can do a whole lot of find and replace for common things which go with I such as have had must will and so on or just do find on " 1 " and replace with I checking context.

Frankly if you get this kind of issue with your first book, pick another book. Books where 1 occurs instead of I are likely to have other similar brightness errors. Notably they will have "die" where "the" ought to be. There are enough short well scanned book so a new validator may do well to pick on of these and return a book needing a lot of work to step 1 for somebody else to work on. For your first couple of projects, try picking relatively short books scanned well. Folks on this list can give you ideas. Congratulations on joining as a volunteer. We all need you.

E.