[bksvol-discuss] Re: html ed. of The Crystal Cave in Bookshare edition.

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:32:38 -0400

What program did you use to convert the html file?

At 10:21 AM 9/21/2006, you wrote:

Okay, I have done all you said except that I could not convert it to rtf but could to txt. Now the easily found copy of the book I have is not the edition they used: ie my hardback v. the original paperback. My librarian is looking for the paperback and I will be when & if my aide arrives as I am certain I have it here somewhere but not where it should have been. Worse case scenario: if I cannot find the matching edition, can I correct it using the hardback and change the info accordingly as I do not believe I can scan without a program beyond my Dell "All in one" though I used that in combo with K1000 to do all my previous scanning. I do know this book as it is would have turned the young Merlin's hair white even before he was a wizard.

My memory of the Fawcett is that it is very close to the hardback though the pagination as indicated in the contents is somewhat different. Using this copy to correct will enable me to fix the fact that it has both roman numerals and arabic numerals for the same pages but the numbers are different. Weird. I too love it and after being frustrated by having to submit Genji and Kipling for others to validate (hoopefully there won't be too much work) I can pay back by fixing this, which I turned to in order to escape the frustration of the other - only to face the problem of not being able to use VRS on my machine and having to go round-about to download anything from bookshare by saving the books and opening them later with Internet Explorer and then, when I finally get The Crystal Cave, this is what I find. At least this is one book that I can fix one way or other (by hook or by crook and any other cliche you can think of as long as I can do it) we can worry about it going back from txt to rft or html or whatever once I get it right (and you the braille copy - good luck . If your hair isn't already white, like mine, it may be when he find what this is not.

Amy