[bksvol-discuss] Re: hold for/save for was (Re: Re: volunteer Lori Miller)

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 13:39:02 EDT

I really don't like that practice of holding for reader. It was something
of an emergency measure to thwart the jiffy proofers who had reduced the
checkout list to a few scant titles that few responsible proofers even wanted.
After that problem was taken care of I was glad to see the practice go. Its
problem is that it also thwarts responsible proofers who are not necessarily
a part of the in group. With that said, though, I wonder if we just might
have a jiffy proofer again. I have noticed in the last week or so that the
checkout list is shrinking a bit. That would be good if it means that more
people are actually proofreading, but I have also noticed that the missing
books
are the most recently added titles that do not have a hold on them. I have
not checked the books in process list to see if there is a pattern of one or
two people downloading a lot of titles or if the histories of those
checkouts show that they were downloaded and immediately uploaded, but I am
getting
suspicious and just may check in the near future.

          "If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.
" Malcolm X

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] hold for/save for was (Re: Re: volunteer Lori Miller)
Date:
10/5/2009 10:04:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Evan, this is a good description of the "hold for" procedure from a
submitter's perspective.

Since I don't scan this was good to know.

I'd like to give my perspective on "hold for"s, as a proofreader. I have
never, and would never, take a book labeled "hold for" unless contacted
directly by the submitter, as you did in the case of Pandora's Star.

When proofreading a book I do not always read through the book unless it is

one I am interested in. I believe I can do a good job without necessarily
reading the entire book. When proofreading a book I rarely pay too much
attention to the content. I pay more attention to the format, spelling, and

things that don't make sense.

Sometime ago when we were plagued with the jiffy proofers we implemented
something called "hold for reader" which meant anyone could take it, but
the
submitter expected them to read the entire book. At that time I did take a
couple of them and spent a couple of boring weeks reading a romance book
and
a children's book. But at least I knew the submitter's wishes and honored
them. I'd like to see the "hold for reader" thing to come back into vogue
for those who wish their book to be read throughout.

Thanks,
Bob
"We know the future will outlast all of us, but I believe that all of us
will live on in the future we make,"
Senator Edward M. Kennedy