[bksvol-discuss] Re: help in getting quality scans from Kurzweil

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:04:43 -0400

Most of this is pretty obvious, such as use two-page mode. Even if you have a Plustek bookedge scanner, mass market margins tend to suck and two-page mode may be required. The rest is try it and see. Optimizing at more than one place in the book will help, but only for that book. Don't be surprised if pages require different settings as far as brightness is concerned. This assumes you're using Static setting. If youdon't want to bother, you can use Grayscale. With this you won't need to optimize at all. Accuracy may be down .3 or so from the best Static settings, but you won't be optimizing. If you use grayscale, do not keep images (assuming you were ever inclined to). These images are Huge (in caps). A book with Static images might run into tens of megabytes, grayscale may go over a gigabyte in image files. To speed things up a little, limit your bottom margin to something like 4.5 inches.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
Everybody else using K1000 probably knows more than I do and I'm sure they will chip in.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marcus Williams" <marcus72@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>