[bksvol-discuss] help, can't upload a book

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare bolunteer discussion" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:24:51 -0500

The following sad story is somewhat lengthy, so please forgive. I just want to give you all the facts before asking my question.

I downloaded "future memory" earlier today for validation.
There wasn't much validation necessary. Thanks whoever scanned it.

This book came in .doc format. I first converted it to .rtf format in Kurzweil, and made a few changes. However, when I saved the book in .rtf format Kurzweil added about two hundred pages of something that appeared to be a memory dump.

So, I went back to the original file, loaded it into Microsoft Word 2000, made my changes again, and saved it as a .rtf file.

Now, I went out to upload the file, pointed it to the file and pressed "accept". Then the earth stood still for an eternity (well about twenty minutes). The progress bar got to 99% in a short period of time but then just stopped.

So, thinking that perhaps it expected a .zip file, I zipped the file up and went through the whole upload process one more time. Still nothing for about twenty minutes.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do next?

Befuddled Bob

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is
the only thing that ever has."--Margaret Mead