[bksvol-discuss] Re: harper's gift for Kim, Daria, Music lovers and all

  • From: Chela Robles <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 19:25:52 -0700

There is a book that is created for learning harp as well I found it here and you can take a look at it or rather purchase it in accessible format at: http://www.xinamusic.com/catalog/no-c-notes-harp-music/dllr0001/ She is a friend of mine name is Christina Catruvo from the MENVI list where there are several harpists you can apply to this group a http://www.menvi.org read about it and then fill in the application at http://menvi.org/application.htm Hope this further helps you out and have fun learning your instruments. I'm also on that discussion list it is called Menvi Discuss.

--
"Passion is a great motivator. Music is a life-long learning experience."
--

On 8/31/2012 7:04 PM, Estelnalissi wrote:

    Dear Kim, Daria and Booksharian Friends,

    We read the glad news that you are the owners of new harps and are
    going to be taking lessons. Quickly Evan scanned, I proofread and
    Madelyn approved a book that we think you’ll love, our way of
    helping to support, to inspire and to get you off to a grand start.

    Playing Celtic harp in a group and with a harp partner was my
    joyous pleasure until I had to stop due to injury and illness.
    Harping was truly heavenly for me, the exercises, the practicing
    of technique and musical phrases, the tunes, the performing and
    the mystique of carrying on the musical traditions of Scotland,
    Ireland and Wales. I loved researching the sources of the music
    and weaving what I learned into my performances. When I became
    unable to play, Bookshare gave me a place to continue my
    exploration of all things Celtic from fact to fiction, from way
    back then until now. I still have what seems like mountains of
    Celtic related books to add to the collection, but the mention of
    your start on the difficult but extremely rewarding road to
    becoming harpers caused me to search out my very well read and
    loved copy of A Harp of Fishbones for you.

    This book has the blessing of Derek Bell, Harpist to the
    Chieftains. He was tremendously influential in reawakening
    interest in the Celtic Harp. I cried the day he died and still
    miss his presence in the world of Celtic music. Missing the
    sweetness of his playing and the added authenticity of his
    contribution to their sound, the Chieftains often invited local
    harpists to join them in the cities where they played on tour.
    This participation has been a high point in the careers of
    fortunate harpers across the United States and elsewhere. It was a
    wonderful way to honor Bell’s mission to popularize and raise the
    Celtic harp worldwide.

    So many of the people and places named in A Harp of Fishbones call
    to mind tunes I loved playing and hearing on the CDs in my Celtic
    music collection. Traditionally harp tunes are named for 1. People
    who sponsored the harpist, 2. Musicians from whom a harpist
    learned the tune, 3. The town or even the road where the tune was
    first heard or learned, and 4. The characters or historic events
    which inspired the tune. Harpers were often asked to commemorate
    relatives living, but usually dead, particularly fallen in battle,
    of a harper’s sponsor. Harpers were also purveyors of news which
    was best passed on in poetry or song in a culture where written
    language was rarely or never used. Surprisingly, British
    landowners whose ancestors invaded Ireland or who were gifted the
    land by British royalty, rendering the rightful owners homeless or
    making of them hapless renters, actually grew to love Ireland and
    were responsible for supporting harpers and preserving their legacy.

    You have a world of musical discovery before you if you track down
    further information about the people, places and tales in A Harp
    of Fishbones. I like to call Turlough O’Carolan, the blind harper
    and composer of over 170 tunes, Ireland’s Mozart. His lovely works
    combine the Baroque music of the period with the traditional lilt
    of Celtic traditional music. You will find many recordings of
    various collections of his work. His story and that of several
    other known harpers is in this short book along with many folk tales.

    Here are the short and long synopses.

    27 tales of the small lap Harp over the centuries. They are
    primarily Irish and other European. They emphasize harp music’s
    power to entertain, uplift and even perform magic, particularly
    when there is love and dedication in the harper. A treasure for
    harpers, music lovers and everyone. Pictures are described.

    Complete Synopsis

    [from the back cover]

    “Twenty-seven tales of mystery, passion, intrigue and
    enchantment--discover the deadly outcome of Uaithne's prophecy,
    where Thady Elliot's love of whiskey led him, why the harp of the
    Dagda Mor fell silent, how O'Carolan was duped, and the cruel fate
    of the harper who burned his harp to keep his faithless lover warm.

    A collection of some of the most beautiful--and most
    powerful--Irish and European folk tales, fairytales, and legends
    to have been written on the theme of harping, along with colourful
    reminiscences of some of the great Irish harpers, explanatory
    commentaries, and a bold, iconoclastic introduction by the
    compiler, Russell Walton.

    "Harpers will love these stories, but this is not just a
    collection for connoisseurs, it will delight all kinds of readers,
    and touch anyone who has a feeling for music."

    Derek Bell Harper to the Chieftains

    These tales come to life when accompanied by the playing of and
    listening to Celtic and other folk harp music. They can be the
    foundation for the musician’s presentation of various kinds of
    tunes in performance. They will also inform and add depth to the
    listener’s appreciation of harp music.

    Comments

    Is written with British spelling such as occurrence, civilisation
    and favourite. A large quantity of Gaelic names and words are used
    as well as words in several other languages like the African
    crwth. Antiquated languages are also used such as: dun,
    Thorskfjord, and courtesy for courtsey. All of this considerable
    amount of irregular spelling has been checked with the print copy
    of the book that was scanned.

    We are so fortunate to volunteer for Bookshare, an organization
    which encourages us to follow our passions to add any book of our
    choosing that isn’t already accurately rendered in the collection.
    We have the honor of not only adding to the collections numbers,
    but to its depth and diversity. We have the opportunity to make
    our bookish dreams and those of Bookshare’s membership, come true.

    May your harps always play in tune.

    Always with love

    Lissi