[bksvol-discuss] growing pains

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:56:40 -0500

I got a note from "the bookshare team" inviting me to a session to discover the "new steamlined" capabilities of bookshare.

I know spelling is a small thing. Yet I am a validator and though I swore to staff I would refrain from discussing policy on this list, I really must say something about spelling errors in mass emailings. I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly so staff please note I say "assuming") that this invite will be sent to individual email addresses of bookshare members.

The spelling error came across loud and clear on my speech synthesizer. My email client has a spell checker.
I did write Pavi suggesting they meant "streamlined".
The lack of attention to such detail makes bookshare as an organization come across as sloppy on top of all the bug fixes for the new site. I am a volunteer and so understand we are experiencing growing pains. But if spelling errors are present in messages the organization sends out to people and groups bookshare wants to attract as members such attention will be good advertising. If bookshare is able to put out well put together promotional and communications materials it comes across as an organization capable of putting out books of a quality needed by educators students and the rest of us.

E.

At 10:30 AM 1/17/2009, you wrote:
Hi Roger,

I've already put in a ticket to Engineering about displaying "Publisher Quality" when the book is rated excellent or good. I'm sure the bug will be fixed soon, since it's confusing people.

Carrie