[bksvol-discuss] Re: friends don't let friends date Jason

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:23:02 -0400

Hi, Jackie. In general, I agree with you. I'm glad people are looking
out for quality on Bookshare and are working hard to improve it.
However, I don't know if you've considered the issues the submitter
may have faced as well. With a book like this that has Spanish, odd
dialect,  and street slang in it, I'm not sure that the OCR process
would work as well to begin with. I don't know the submitter well and
am speaking from my experience with scanning other books similar to
this. There are some pages where the OCR software gets mixed up by
English and Spanish on the same page and ends up making a mess. I have
had to ask my daughter to type in pages like this because no amount of
rescanning makes it better. I'm lucky to have a sighted family to help
me. Some submitters don't have that option. It would make volunteering
easier if people made it possible to contact them with questions
though.

in this instance, Laura Ann got direction from Bookshare, and that
staff member was involved in looking at the final product. The staff
seems to have decided that the book had merrit enough to be made
available. Sometimes a validater has to make a tough call when a book
is readable but can't be made perfect. Laura Ann has validated several
of my books, and I know her to be a careful person who follows the
volunteer manual closely. She agonized over this book, wanting to do
the right thing. Maybe one of us who scan books will find a copy and
can do a BSO soon.

--
Monica Willyard