[bksvol-discuss] Re: friends don't let friends date Jason

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:01:26 -0700

Shannon, I would respectfully submit that 1 does not get disapproved
of easily--it requires a consistent, longterm behavior patern. & even
then, I think if some1 were to come forward & say, "u know, I realize
my past submissions haven't been up to snuff, but I really wanna do
better", there'd be folks jumpin up & down here--myself included--to
give that person all the help they could want & then some.

The fact is, given what I saw about this person, I think I'd like her.
She seems to have a social conscience, & I really do like her taste in
books. What I find unconscienable is her submissions liberally
littered w/junk characters, pages missing, lines of text where the
binder is not held flat, etc. 1 can tell these things by proofreading
one's submissions. & if there are problems w/the OCR of a particular
book, then 1 can ask for help in so many ways, by sending some1 the
book or the image files or asking them to get it from a library if
available--just a whole host of ways.

There is a *huge* difference between criticizing some1 as a person vs.
their behavior. I have nothing against this person--accept that it
appears to me she doesn't take the kind of care that submitting books
deserves. & I don't like that. I don't like it as a validator cuz I
end up beating my head for hours against a brick wall--hours that
could have been spent getting excellent books into the collection
instead of trying to get 1 book remotely up to speed. & I don't like
it on a personal level cuz I really do feel that if something is worth
doing, it's worth doing well. If I wanna run around in pj's in my
place, that's 1 thing--but I won't do it in public. The same applies.
If I need to do a quick-&-dirty scan for something I need immediately,
then so be it--but I certainly won't share that w/others till it's
cleaned up. I just really view bad submissions like that as being
discourteous especially because not very much effort is required to
eliminate these most common types of errors.

Underlying what u say sounds to me as though u either feel somehow
disapproved of or fear being so. I'm sorry if that's the case. But I
don't think folks do that unless they see some kind of virtually
unwaivering patern. In my case, I looked at several of this person's
scans & the same stuff kept reappearing & reappearing ad nauseum. I
don't think any1 here would disapprove of any1 if they'd only seek &
benefit from assistance. But when folks don't seem to care to do that,
that's where folks have trouble.