[bksvol-discuss] free to submittors

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:16:38 -0400

Dear Booksharian Friends,

I do this to help submittors get books to scan, and especially with the check-in page hovering at 100 books, to give the submittors, proofreaders and Bookshare collection a boost. Freeing house room for this spring's library book sales is a motive, too. Evan, when navigating between stacks and boxes, asks why I don't use bookshelves. I've long ago run out of wall space for them!

If you feel confident you'll scan the books you request, write to me at:

airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

with the numbers and names of the books you'd like to scan. It's first come, first served. Here's hoping anyone who asks gets the books they want.

I would rather be proofreading than typing this list, so my notes will be brief. You might find out more about the books by checking your library database or looking them up on Amazon or abe books.

As usual, The books and postage are free and I don't want them back.

Many thanks to all takers!

Always with love,

Lissi

MAR091 - The Folks That Live On The Hill, by Kingsley Amis, hardback, 246 pages, About the retirement of a man in a London neighborhood who finds himself busier helping people once he has retired than he was when he just worked full time..

MAR092 - Code Sixty-One by Donald Harstad, hardcover, 368 pages with a description

of police codes and a time line at the end. This is a Sheriff's investigation of an apparent suicide involving a cult which ritualistically drink one another's blood. Then he suspects a real vampire is involved and a card carrying vampire-hunter shoes. Probes the dark side of the heartland.

MAR093 - On off by Collen McCullough, hardcover, in like new condition, not an ex library book, 372 pages, Bookshare has a dozen of her books but not this one. Story of suspense, murder, sadistic sexuality, body parts of a woman are found at a neurological research center at a university. There are many suspects.

MAR094 - Far Futures edited by Gregory Benford, Hardback, great condition, not ex library book, 348 pages, anthology of SF for fans of hard SF five novellas set a least 1000 years in the future, deal with cosmology, astronomy, evolution and biology authors like Charles Sheffield, Po7ul Anderson, Joe Haldeman, Greg Bear and Donald Kingsbury

MAR095 - Ask Again Later by Jill Davis, hardcover, perfectly new, not ex library, 242 pages, family crisis involving breast cancer and a grown daughter who always runs from problems.

MAR096 - Hawke's Cove by Susan Wilson, brand new hardcover, 280 pages, During world war II, woman becomes friends with and then falls in love with a man who comes by looking for work. She then learns that her husband who was missing in action has been found.

MAR097 - We Danced All Night Behind the Scenes with Alan Jay Lerner, by Doris Shapiro, hardcover, 244 pages, a memoir of the creator of My Fair Lady, Camelot and Gigi.

MAR098 - Flesh & Bones by Paul Levine, hardcover, 303 pages, A famous, beautiful model shoots a guy at a bar three times and then falls into the arms of linebacker turned lawyer, Jake who agrees to defend her and is then overwhelmed with lies and psychological riddles. Bookshare has one other mystery by this author.

MAR099 - Killer Heels by Sheryl J Anderson, hardback, 310 pages, A woman who writes for a glitzy magazine and lives in New York City tackles the murder of a famous lady's man, Wickedly clever.

MAR090 - Thirty-three Swoons by Martha Cooley, Hardcover in great condition, not ex library book 310 pages, After her husband leaves and her father dies, a woman's life is changed by a man she meets in her dreams, involves American Theater and Russian Theater.

MAR0910 - Under the Gypsy Moon by Lawrence Thornton, Hardcover in great condition, not an ex library book, 211 pages, About a Spanish Novelist and woman during the French occupation trying to survive and overcome the Nazis, Fabulous depiction of life in occupied Paris.

MAR0911 - Mrs. Beneker by Violet Weingarten, new hardcover, 222 pages, about a woman facing many crisis and situations in her life like, natural childbirth, the confusion of adult religious classes, giving a woman she doesn't like cash for an abortion, wanting to tell her psychiatrist he needs to replace his threadbare rug, denying she's read the Tolkien books she took from her son's bookshelves, she's a wife, mother and grandmother and heroine of this funny, serious, novel.

MAR0912 - Code of the Life Maker by James P. Hogan, hardcover new, 330 pages, science fiction about a ship which travelled for thousands of years before crash landing. An earthship is secretly sent to Titan with Military men on board as well as the flight crew, scientists, parapsychologists and an ambassador, linguists, representatives of industry and only the leaders of the Military Industrial Complex know why.

MAR0913 - True Myths the life and times of Arnold Schwarzenegger by Nigel Andrews, new quality paperback from Bloomsbury, 284 pages, this is as near to Arnold as we'll ever get, for people interested in fame, Hollywood, politics and power.

MAR0914 - Crown Witness by Gillian Linscott, hardcover, 218 pages, Suffragettes solve a murder

MAR0915 - Run Jane Run by Maureen Tan, hardcover, 268 pages, female British agent is sent to rescue the kidnapped nephew of a member of Parliament.

MAR0916 - Three from the 87th, three full-length mystery novels, Hail, Hail, the gang's all here!, Jigsaw and Fuzz by Ed McBain, hardcover, 470, police procedural of the NYPD.

MAR0917 - Parallelities by Alan Dean Foster, hardcover, almost like new, 305 pages, Bookshare has this but it's only rated good, Man claims to have invented a device that breaks through parallel worlds. A reporter is hurled from world to world, each weirder than the last.

Kids and teens

MAR0918 - The Case of the Goblin Pearls: Chinatown mystery #1 by Laurence Yep, hardcover, 180 pages, Known for his popularization of books about Chinese-

Americans for children, I proofread one of this author's books for Bookshare. His books are humorous and weave modern life in China Town with old legends. They are filled with adventure and some Chinese magic. This one is about Lily who, with her Grandmother, looks for the Goblin Pearl stolen from the New Year's parade. Middle grad kids

MAR09 19 - Quicksilver by Stephanie Spinner, hardcover, 230 pages, A novel that reinterprets the myth of Atlantis, for teens.