[bksvol-discuss] Re: free books for scanners mailing soon (revised) 2 and 16 claimed(

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:47:48 -0500

Lissi, I am not going to request any of these right now because I know that I already have one on the way and it will be a little while until I can start it after I get it. That is because a few days ago I just started working on one I got from Paperback Swap and since I started it I have been beset by interruptions that have kept me from getting very far into it. However, I wonder if you could clarify if there are any rules for requesting. I see that there are some other books in the list that had caught my attention, but that I did not request because I didn't want to be greedy. It now occurs to me that you might appreciate multiple requests because it would save on postage. So the first question is are there any limits on how many books one might request? Second, whether one is requesting multiple books or not there is a chance that more than one person might want the same one. I am supposing that you use the first come first served system, but if a person is requesting only one book the chances are that someone might be disappointed and possibly if they are requesting more than one. So would you like requests to be ranked in order of preference? I mean that, for example, if someone wanted only one and said here is a list of three in order of preference. Send me the one that is available and is closest to the top of the list.

On 2/16/2017 6:14 AM, Estelnalissi wrote:

Dear Booksharian Friends,
I’m mailing books for scanners to scan and keep later today. Let me know if you are willing to scan any of the following and I’ll get them out to you in today’s mail. No strings, just hoping to get more books into willing scanners’ hands.
1, 2, 5, 8, 12, 14, and 16 are on their way.
I believe I’ve lost one of the lists resulting in changed numbers but
the following are the books still available.
And, I miswrote the title of 16 which should have read, Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy From Mars.
3. Women of Darkness II edited by Kathryn Ptacek - 18 short horror stories by women writers 260 pages
4. When They Took Away The Man in the Moon by Kate Lehrer – 243 pages – novel about childhood memories, family roots and unrealistic expectations for our modern lives.
6. Unofficial Verdicts The Central Park Jogger Trials by Timothy Sullivan – nonfiction - 314 – some complex pages (end matter) may be skipped. otherwise easy scan
7. The Imperfect Mirror Inside Stories of Television Newswomen nonfiction by Daniel Painsner 256 pages excluding double column index which can be skipped. Nice wide margins.
9. Courage to be Myself by Carlos G. Valles, S.J. – Looks like a good self help book or memoir 228 pages, great margins, non yellowing, great for scanning
10. Royal Service my Twelve years as valet to prince Charles by Stephen P. Barry – 244 pages
11. Rising Sun Victorious the alternate history of how the japanese won the pacific war edited by Peter G. Tsouras about 2550 pages
13. Rootie Kazootie a Novel by Lawrence Naumoff – 273 pages – About the meaning of love. A love triangle between a married couple and the other woman who lives next door.
15. The Sunset Grille by Will Cunningham – 272 pages – young girl is murdered and a minister’s brother is a suspect with good and evil battling for his soul. There are seamy happenings in the basement of the Grille the victim’s parents own.
17. Perilous Weekend by Arlene Hale – mass market romantic suspense, 204 pages, some yellowing around the margins, Bridal party turns into a nightmare...
18. Montana Legacy by R. C. Ryan, 296 pages, mass market but very new, no yellowing, romance, forever Press, Woman who broke rancher’s heart returns offering help...
19. Three Stations by Martin Cruz Smith, an arkady Renko Novel, 245 pages, a suspense story set on a passenger train, one of my y kinds of mysteries, these are set in Russia, The cop is observant, intuitive, Ironic, fights not only wrongdoers but the corrupt state apparatus as well. It’s not that I’m ultra politically entrenched here, but I love reading these books both for the fine mystery and the interesting perspective on a country on the other side of the world where I’ll never go. Of course, I still like reading about Ireland best!
20. Do You Sometimes Feel Like Nobody? Tim Stafford (Campus Life) – 156 pages, nice self help, I think says things on back cover like: Learn to love yourself, accept the love of others, stop hiding insecurities, get past guilty feelings, see yourself as God sees you...
21. We’re Never Alone, A Woman’s Look at our Modern World, Eileen Guder, 148, mass market but absolutely no yellowing so should be a great scan. women’s issues
22. Google Eyes, Anne Fine, Large print, a scanner’s dream to scan, 219 pages, Two girls talk about the problems when there are new men in their mother’s lives, I think Google eyes is what one girl calls the guy courting her mom with chocolates, etc.
23. The Ghost Child by Sonya Hartnett, 176, lovely, wide margins, I think this is a fantasy about a girl who falls in love with a wild kind of boy called Feather. They live happily by the sea for years and then Feather doesn’t come home and Maddy goes on a fantastic journey across the sea in search of him.
24. The Process of Excelling, practical how to guide for managers and supervisors, by Roger E. Herman, 172 pages, wide margins
25. Whatever! by Sarah Snyder, oversized paperback, High school girl is in shock when she has to move and enter school where she’s nobody and doesn’t know anyone, says it’s like being electrocuted! 422, has a vocabulary list at the end of the novel to help kids bone up for the S A Tees, looks very chatty, very social, all about common high school issues, drinking, the prom...
26. Figs in Frost by Denise Robins mass market, about 250 pages, young woman marries to please her parents and comes to hate her brutish husband, When she falls in love with another man her husband makes her choose between her new love and losing her two young daughters.
27. To Swim Across /the World, by Frances Park and Ginger Park – 280 pages, based on true story of the authors’ parents who endured the Japanese occupation of Korea. Must have a happy ending because the authors are alive to write the story. Beautiful wide margins and lines not too close together.
If you don’t make the mailing on February 16th, we mail almost every week on Thursday, so take your time perusing. Please consider helping add one or more of these books.
Always with love and hope,
Lissi