[bksvol-discuss] Re: forging the stream of consciousness

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 13:06:20 -0700

If you know that the only thing bold in the book are these section headings, then you can use Word find and replace (though the instructions may seem almost as long as your message, it is much quicker than doing thousands of individual changes). As always before doing something that could turn the book to garbage, do a save as to a new file name.

So to convert all cases of 12 point bold to 14 point bold ....

In the find box put ^?
then alt-m to get to a button called more, which will make the dialog have more choices type alt-u to toggle Use wildcards, then type alt-o to get to a drop down menu,
the first item on that menu is font so just hit return to go there
that brings up the typical font dialog except this dialog has some extra bits
like under font style you can choose not bold and not italic
type alt-y to get to the font style section, then down arrow to bold,
then type alt-s to get to the font size section of the dialog box and arrow down to 12
now hit return to select OK and exit the dialog box
then type alt-i to go to the replace box, in the replace box put ^&
once again type alt-o to get to the format drop down menu and hit enter to select the first menu item font once again type alt-y to get to the font style section and then down arrow to bold once again hit alt-s to get to the font size section and arrow down to 14 this time.
and once again hit return to select OK and exit the font dialog box.
Now all you have to do is type alt-a to replace all.

I hope this works for you. I at least hope it doesn't get your book bounced back from the admin queue because dozens of pages are all bold.

Misha

On 7/30/2011 8:41 AM, Bob W wrote:
Thanks Mayrie.
When I finish with all this I will go back and bold the title and parts. However, right now bolding is the only thing that separates the two thousand "chapters" is the fact that they are bolded, so I'm going to leave them that way until I figure out what to do with them.
Thanks for your help.
Bob