[bksvol-discuss] Re: for jamie

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:32:36 -0400

Dear Jill, Cindy, Jamie and Everyone,

I was getting fidgety, too, about a couple of my uploads but we can relax. The staff really appreciates our attention in producing improved bee ess owes as well as brand new books for the collection. We volunteers are just ahead of them right now. Go Us!

Redistributing Gustavo's enormous job really is a work in progress and an added responsibility for the staff who are pitching in to keep up with the approval process. Our books are safe in the queue and I'm confident the staff will process them as fast as they can.

You're probably wondering if I'm blasting you with a gust of hot air with no basis in fact. Today I contacted Bookshare because I was concerned about a BSO I uploaded which hadn't been approved. It's only been in the admin approval queue for a few days but I wanted the staff to know the book really needed to be rescanned and validated more carefully. I also mentioned that another of my books in the queue wasn't a duplicate in case it was delayed because they thought it was already in the collection. One book in the collection has the same title and the name of another is the same minus one word. My book is totally different with a different author.

I was amazed to receive a kind e-mail in a matter of minutes thanking me for the clarification and telling me not to worry about delays in the approvals of my submissions. The staff is working hard to process books as fast as they can.

My own conclusion is that it is taking real commitment for the staff to take on all of the work Gustavo did. I don't think they've hired someone specifically to do his job, and when they do, it will take time for that person to grasp the full scope of his many tasks. He was with Bookshare from the start and though he was funny and laid back, he was really a passionate advocate of Bookshare's goals. Remember, even when he was on the job, it took a year for some books to make their way through the system. With that in mind, approvals are coming at quite a brisk pace. It will take time to hire and train Gustavo's replacement and meanwhile we have the assurance our books are in safe keeping and will be processed in a matter of time.

Always with love,

Lissi
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jamie Yates" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>