[bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:15:40 -0700 (PDT)

Oh. Now yo're saying Arial isn't god for sighted proofers? Maybe I'll Tahoma.
Or I'll stick to 200% magnificatikon of Times New Roman. One reaso is because
it's so hard to see spaces between words

when it's normal.

TinyURL.com/752cyrs

>________________________________

      attributes and types of fonts when they convert the books. The
      only thing that is preserved is font sizes, italics and bold. So
      it doesn't help the printed disabled readers to use colored fonts
      and a variety of different types of fonts within a book. Those get
      lost.

>I heartily agree with Valerie that the Ariel font isn't the best
      choice to have when you submit a scanned book for proofreading.
      Valerie prefers Times New Roman, which is a good font for
      distinguishing between zeros and the capital letter "O" as well as
      ones and the lower case letter "l" when you're sighted.  Another
      font for sighted readers that makes it easy to tell differences
      between those same things is the font called Tahoma.  I don't
      think it's a good a font for someone who is dyslexic, however,
      from what Valerie has said.  For me Tahoma is actually easier to
      read than is Times New Roman. That's because I sometimes get
      blurred close-up vision from ocular migraines, and the Times New
      Roman smears together more than does the Tahoma.

>Judy s.
>
>On 3/15/2012 6:42 PM, Ixchel, Jackie wrote:
>Hi Kim,
One thing I would like to add to this is that if a book is told in
multiple points of view and they have different fonts you might not
want to change them or their color. I encountered this with the book
Legend and it was helpful (for the print reader which I'm not) to have
that because sometimes the point of view wasn't clear right away.
Sincerely,
Jackie On 3/15/12, Kim Loftis <kll2277@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Very helpful to know, Valerie!  I'll make a mental note to always make sure
my scanned texts end up in TNR, as well as changing those books I proofread
to said font. Warmest,
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mayrie ReNae Sent:
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:10 PM To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question Hi Kim If you are detail oriented, you'll
adore proofreading! It's great to have you with us! Mayrie
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kim Loftis Sent:
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:46 PM To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question Hi Mayrie, Many thanks!  Both for the
confirmation and the words of encouragement.
LOL  I'm a very thorough, detail-oriented person by nature, so wanted to
double-check.  *smile*  I appreciate the help and support very much! Warmest,
Kim From: Mayrie ReNae Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:41 PM To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question HI
Kim, Absolutely!  You can and should change font and standardize it, then bold
and enlarge where necessary!  You've got the process well in hand! Happy
proofreading! Mayrie
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kim Loftis Sent:
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:24 PM To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject:
[bksvol-discuss] font Question Hi All, Well, I'm just about to begin proofing
my first Bookshare book!  *gulps*
Before I did it, I wanted to familiarize myself with the steps, and, as much
as possible, get comfortable with them.  I know practice and the routine of
doing them over and over for books will make it easier.  Hahaha.  Hopefully
after successfully completing this one, I won't feel so daunted.  *sheepish
grin* My question is about the font.  This particular book has a font that my
Word 2003 doesn't have installed, so it said it would show me the closest
font available.  I understand that Times New Roman is an easy font to read,
and know from the documentation that it's a recommended font.  I already
know that I can't change text.  But is it okay to change the type of font.
In other words, could I select the entire content of the rtf, change it to
times new roman 12 point, and then change the size of particular chapter
titles, book title, etc, as required? Any info is very much appreciated! Thanks
much! Kim __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
signature database 6970 (20120315) __________ The message was checked by ESET
NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com