[bksvol-discuss] finereader 7 versus 8

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Vol Group <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:00:32 -0700 (PDT)

I went into the Bookshare office today, and chopped and scanned a 128-page book
(A Nation of Immigrants by John F. Kennedy that I'll submit later this week).
I used Finereader 7 to OCR it, and also Finereader 8, and then compared the 2
.rtf files.

  During the introduction, going from page ix to x (9 to 10 in Roman numerals),
version 7 had the last line of text, a section break (next page), a line with
'x' at the far left, and the word 'Introduction' (the header) at the far right,
then the first line of text on the next page.  So far so good. Version 8 had
the last line of text, another line with 'ix' on it (version 7 missed that line
entirely), a section break (next page), a line with 'x' on it, a column break,
a line with 'Introduction' on it, a section break (continuous), and then the
first line of text on the next page.  So neither version performed 100%
correctly at that part of the book.

  After some discussion with several staff members, we all agreed that we need
the better OCR engine from version 8 and the better page break handling from
version 7.  They will ask the IT guy if he can change any settings to get rid
of the second section break in version 8.  I rather doubt that he can fix the
problem, but you never know...

  In addition, the staff members have promised to contact Finereader and see
what's up with this problem.  It sounds like Finereader is already aware of the
problem from a previous post.  I just hope that they can provide a patch soon!
In the meantime, I've been told to continue using version 8.

  There might be a workaround, if the book's headers are always exactly the
same.  You could do a global replace of the column break, the header, and the
section break to a line break, so you'd end up with the page number, a blank
line and the first line of text.  But if the headers are garbled, it won't work.

  If anyone hears of a patch from Finereader, please let all of us know.

  Thanks, Carrie