[bksvol-discuss] Re: email from an author of a book I scanned

  • From: Laura Ann <agape.wellness.massage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:52:49 -0500

I am all for that...
I think someones creativity should be rewarded but her tone in her letter is nasty mean and angry.
There are more mature ways to handle a problem.

And if she is an author you would think she knows how to research before she attacks.

Just disappointing.
But bookshare staff will handle it with grace and do an wonderful job educating.
Laura Ann
At 01:58 PM 8/26/2008, you wrote:
Hi,
I would give her the benefit of the doubt. I am a musician. I dislike it
when people pirate music. Let's see how this turns out.

Thanks.

Jim

James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "Laura Ann"
             <agape.wellness.m
             assage@xxxxxxxxx>                                          To
             Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             bksvol-discuss-bo                                          cc
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             g                                                     Subject
                                       [bksvol-discuss] Re: email from an
                                       author of a book I scanned
             08/26/2008 02:36
             PM

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

that is terrible.
How disappointing that she is so ignorant and hostile toward blind and
disabled being able to read in alternant formats.

How nasty.
Laura An
At 01:01 PM 8/26/2008, you wrote:
      Hi, all.

      I received this message from Katharine Webber, the author of
      Triangle, which I recently submitted to the collection. She is
      apparently displeased that her book is in the collection.

      I tried to explain that bookshare is not illegal. Here is what she
      says:

      Scanning pages of a book that is copyright and
      therefore protected intellectual property, and then
      ndistributing those pages to other people through a
      website, is a violation of the copyright law. Very
      specifically, you are stealing income from me, the
      author of TRIANGLE and other novels.

      What you are doing is theft. Do you mind that? Would
      you steal a meal in a restaurant, would you steal
      services from your plumber?  If you had no idea it was
      illegal, now you know. Surely you do know this?
      BOOKSHARE IS ILLEGAL THEFT OF PROPERTY. Do you want to
      keep doing it and to wait to be prosecuted?

      Who can heal, but one who has healed herself?
      Who can know, but one who has asked and sought?
      Who can lead, but one who has traveled the way?
      --ancient French proverb