[bksvol-discuss] em dashes and two dashes

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:51:41 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Lissi,

I think we were told at one point that people preferred the em dash not to have
spaces at either end and also that people prefer to have two dashes instead of
the em dash, so I've been changing them to be that way or, when they're already
two dashes I leave them. I have found a slight problem, though, when the dashes
are at the end of the line--they split up. On those rare occasions I change the
two dashes to an em dash.

I'm not sure I understand your second question, but if I do, the answer is no,
there should be no space between single quote and double quote at the end of
sentences, as far as I can remember. For example, Mary said, "I said to Jane,
'Stop that at once.!'" Hmm--when I just typed that it looks like there's a
space between but there really isn't. When I correct it when validating there
is no space, usually. I guess it depends on the font.

Cindy