[bksvol-discuss] Re: editing tools and problems

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:34:10 -0400

I do not have this entry in my speech lexicon or anywhere else. I have been finding an occasional braille book with occurrances of "dis" and "com". I wrote Carrie about it.

E.

At 08:54 PM 3/12/2008, you wrote:
Bob,

Take a look in your speech lexicon and see if their is an entry for esp. An abbreviation for espanol maybe?

Dave

At 05:57 PM 3/12/2008, you wrote:
I just finished validating a book that the submitter had originally rated as "good".

Most of the problems had to do with their braille conversion program. For example, one of the unrecognizable words was "disdddis". Can you guess what that was?

It's an elipsis, three periods.

Someone else validating this book might not know braille, or want to take the time to figure out what this was. I guess my point is, when using a tool, make sure the tool is an editing assistant, and that it does not introduce additional problems.

By the way, speaking of tools, I use Kurzweil to do a lot of my editing. The book I was editing is a science fiction book and has a lot of references to ESP. For some weird reason, when Kurzweil ran across ESP it said "spanish paceta". I kid you not. I'm still trying to figure that one out; if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Bob
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is
the only thing that ever has."--Margaret Mead

http://www.eset.com