[bksvol-discuss] Re: e: Re: Accessing Adult-rated books; was Ann Coulter Books

  • From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:44:20 -0800

Carrie: it was my understanding that any book a person could check out of a
public library should not have Adult Content slapped on it: each of us as
individuals have our own moral perspectives and for us to decide what is fit
or unfit for teens is censorship, pure and clear. So I am following the
libraries.  About un-limiting books, early on and pre-Gustavo, anything that
was gay or lesbian was put under adult content. Those should be put back in
the general collection. Things like letters to Hustler (I've seen a few like
that, where the purchaser must be over 18) should be Adult Content bec they
are sold that way. Otherwise, we need to be cautious about becoming
"Fahrenheit 451" clones. Parents can put their own limits in.  Personally, I
wouldn't want any child of mine being able to download some serious
right-wing, neo-fascist, anti-Semitic homophobic books. But they are on
Bookshare and I defend their right to be there. It would be up to me, the
parent, to deal with, not Bookshare.

Just my personal  thoughts.

Liz in Portland

Liz Halperin