[bksvol-discuss] Re: doublr-hyphensand em dashes.

  • From: "Ilene Sirocca" <ilenesia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:22:26 -0400

Okay, I went into "The Castle on the Hill" and the first thing I noticed was I missed one long dash, which I believe did not go correctly in Braille; but the next one, which I had fixed, with two hyphens, was just fine. This file was in RTF format, although I had proofed it in K1---, and now i read it in Word, on a braille display. So once I changed it to double hyphens it was correct. Why I never even checked this in braille in the past I cannot say. But definitely the neglected dash was an incorrect M-dash and the one I'd hyphened--not to be confused with hyphenated--was correct in braille, and now I am waving farewell and going down for some much-needed coffee.

Regards,

I.
From: Ilene Sirocca <ilenesia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Another "Castle of Adventure" Problem
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 8:59 AM
Now that we're talking about changing
things, I think I changed something perhaps best left alone,
but hope it is not fatal and almost thought of keeping
quiet.

Cindy mentioned that you could take dashes and replace with
two hyphens, and also remove the spaces around them.  I
did this for the entire book, but hey, that may be the way
it should have stayed, with the dashes intact and
spaced.  So now what?  I really don't see myself
doing this all over again. But i can leave the dashes alone
in the rest of the books in this series.

Ilene