[bksvol-discuss] Re: do I have to rescan?

  • From: Curtis Delzer <curtis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 00:50:19 -0500

No, there is a *.kes repair utility in your "diags" folder you can run on it.

KESRepair: This program will attempt to recover pages of RTF data from a damaged
KES file. KES files can be damaged in a way that makes it impossible for the
Kurzweil 1000 itself to open them. If you have a KES file that you cannot open,
move it to an empty folder. Run KESRepair, using a screen reader, and active its Open button. That will bring up a standard file open dialog. Use it to locate the damaged KES file, and open it. An analysis will then be done. If you tab once, you will be in a read only text box which will tell you how many pages were found, and how many were lost. Tab once more and you will be at an OK button. Activate it, and KESRepair will write an RTF file for each found page. The names of the files will be based on the name of the damaged KES file, followed by a space and then a page number. Next, use Kurzweil 1000 itself. Under the File menu you will find a Utilities menu item. This will open a sub-menu. Choose the Merge and Open menu item. This will bring up a file open dialog. Again, move to the appropriate folder. Then select all of the RTF files in this folder. The easiest way to do this is to tab to the text box in the file dialog, and enter *.rtf. A dialog will come up allowing you to reorder the files. You won't need to do this, so just press enter. It may take a minute or two, but the open file will contain all of the recovered pages. They will probably, but not certainly, be in the correct reading order, except, of course, for the pages that could not be recovered. Additional items like images, bookmarks, notes, and hyperlinks
will be lost.

--
I hope this helps.

Curtis Delzer

At 10:17 PM 5/27/2008, you wrote:
I have kurzweil V. 11. I scanned part of a book and am trying to re-open it to continue scanning. It tells me it can not open the file, as the format can not be determined. Do I have to rescan the entire book or is there a way to fix it?
amber
Book blog:
<http://community.livejournal.com/book_cuddler/>http://community.livejournal.com/book_cuddler/
I have accepted a seat in the House of Representatives, and thereby have consented to my own ruin, to your ruin, and to the ruin of our children. I give
John Adams
E-Mail: <mailto:amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx