[bksvol-discuss] Re: displaying page breaks on the braille display using jaws and MS Word:

  • From: "Larry Lumpkin" <llumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 16:35:51 -0600

I have NVDA.  I’ll have a look.

From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sensation Experience
Official
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2014 1:22 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: displaying page breaks on the braille display
using jaws and MS Word:

Hi all,
It's al. I use Non-Visual Desktop Access (NVDA) as I don't trust JAWS these
days. Do you think they do display their page breaks as symbols? That'd be
helpful to know.
If you'd like to learn more about the screen reader, go to
http://www.nvda-project.org/
Best of luck,
-Al

On 1/19/2014 11:10 AM, Sue Stevens wrote:

You worked on that to help me, Larry, and Freedom Scientific admitted this was
no longer possible.

However, Kenny,there is a workaround. Ms Word has a very good page and word
count. If you see by the page count that there is something wrong with the page
count, you can check out the problem with the following steps:

1. Press control with h to bring up the find and replace box.

2. In the “find what” box, type ^m (caret m) for page break.

3.  In the “replace with” box I always type %%%, because I know this will not
appear in the book I am proofing. Then replace all.

Now you will see the hard page break as %%% and can correct the error. Then of
course you have to do the opposite in find and replace so that you will get
your page count back. I keep track of the page count as I go, by checking it as
I read. That way, you can correct any errors of hard page breaks as you go.

NOTE:  The page count won’t be accurate while it is replaced by %%%, so that is
why you must correct as you go.

This certainly isn’t ideal, and I wish FS would correct it in JAWS, but it is a
good workaround.

Hope this helps,

Sue S.