[bksvol-discuss] Re: dictionaries?

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:08:47 -0700

Charisma,

Typically we do not tackle dictionaries at all. We let publishers become our
partners and send us their epub version to convert. The manual process is slow
and painful. The outsourced process is hugely expensive.

All that said, there is no reason why a group of intrepid pioneers from this
community might not band together to try to solve the problem bit by bit.

After all Benetech's founder Jim Fruchterman would love to see those volunteers
who like challenges to try developing their skills to a level surpassing the
outsourcer teams.

The only thing I caution is patience. If a group of you begin to share ideas on
something like this dictionary/encyclopedia know that it will take months to
complete. Work on it s a side project while you also do some Level 1 and 2
books. Finishing a book like this is a real satisfaction - as our cookbook
wizards and coffee table book experts know - but the most valuable part of a
project like this will be proving that this community has the capacity to turn
out books of this degree of complexity.

And, by all means, document what you learn so that others do not need to
reinvent what you have done!

Scott