[bksvol-discuss] Re: designating language of a book

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 13:33:17 -0400

The simple search is already set to all languages. Remember, I discovered that if you just click the search button in simple search without filling out anything you get in your results every book in the Bookshare collection. That doesn't work in the advanced search though. You will just get every book in the collection that is in the language you specify, the default being American English and if you click search without filling out anything, but change the language to all languages you will get nothing. However, If you do fill out something, and that will be the case with virtually all searches unless you just want to find out how many books are in the collection, you can easily change the language to all languages. The point of using the advanced search is to specify different parameters anyway and changing the language is really easy. What I would prefer to see is that British and American English not be treated as different languages, or at least that we be given the ability to search more than one language at a time while excluding others. I suppose that there might be some reasons to search either American or British English while excluding the other, but I really can't think of any. After all, they are just different ways of spelling for the most part and the part that is not just differences in spelling are the kind of differences we have between Chicago and Austin.

On 4/3/2012 1:13 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
While they are "kissing cousins", there are strong vocabulary and grammar differences, enough, IMHO, to warrant a different label. Again, my preference would be that default be set to all languages instead of American English only...
Valerie

Bookshare: Bringing Reading to Life for 10 Years
http://www.bookshare.org/