[bksvol-discuss] descriptors in synopses, was parental worning

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 08:01:23 -0400

Hi Cindy, et al,

I think that adding checkboxes may be good, but may take more time and involve changing the online forms. I think that rather than do that, using the NLS descriptors makes sense. NLS will place a sentence like the below in the synopsis of its books. Contains rough language, violence and explicit descriptions of sex. Or a variant depending on the book. Some books just have Contains rough language. Others have all three descriptors listed.

I firmly believe, however, that the best way to determine if a book is inappropriate for a given minor is to ask a human being. this not only will give a parent descriptors, but it will also lead to a discussion of the given book. I'm for sharing books, and when you do that, you teach discrimination, which is the whole idea behind all these descriptors, isn't it?

I can remember reading some pretty adult books in high school. We read Steppen Wolf and Sidartha and Crime and Punishment as well as the Shakespeare and Steinbeck. We had to discuss the book, talk about its theme and plot and all. We had to write essays about why we liked or didn't like a given character, and we explored some pretty hard concepts like Tragedy and so on. What made this possible was our teachers who asked questions and explained hard concepts. Checkboxes are good, but humans are better.

Hmmm, I'm wondering, would a book club for YA books be of any use? No, I'm not volunteering to run one, I'm too busy. However, it might be a thought.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring